Search

My Wayward Eyes

I went ten pin bowling for the first time in 20 years with our family a few weeks back. It reminded me of how hard it is to fix your eyes on the target; nine times out of ten my eyes would wander and fix on my feet or the track itself. Needless to say I didn't score well - but for brief bursts when I could control my focus it was quite thrilling to watch the result!

Gosh I need to learn this lesson, in general! This is exactly what I do in life. I'm always looking everywhere except at what I'm actually (meant to be) aiming for: Christ himself.

Psalm 25:15 (NIV)

 My eyes are ever on the Lord,
    for only he will release my feet from the snare.
My eyes are ever on myself! Or my to-do list, or that nebulous cloud of problems to solve and worries to resolve.

Everyday, every morning and evening and mindful moment, I need to tell the eyes of my heart to look to the only one who can save my feet from their perils.

Christ is the only one who can keep my feet from falling; he's the only one who can release them from the life traps that ensnare them - the "worries and troubles of life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desire for other things" that come in and choke the seed of God's Word in my heart, keeping me from fruitfulness; keeping me from the results of the Spirit.

Joe, control those wayward eyes! Keep them on Jesus! If you look at anything else, you'll suffer for it.

'My eyes are ever on Christ, for only he will release my feet from the sin that so easily entangles.'

No comments: