Search

Near or Not?

I find I often live as if the Lord were far off, but think as though he is always near, to everyone.
As a Christian I believe Christ is not only omnipresent but unconditionally with me "always, to the very End".

We know that not only did Christ promise his active ruling (reign) from the throne of our hearts, but that according to the Apostle Paul, even for those who refuse to believe "he is not far from anyone of us".

And here is the danger: I fall into the trap of assuming his presence and then getting on with forgetting all about him.

But then I see in the Scripture a constant reminder to hold this truth in tension with another:

He is near to those who draw near to him.

Psalm 145:18-19(NIV)

 The Lord is near to all who call on him,
    to all who call on him in truth.
 He fulfills the desires of those who fear him;
    he hears their cry and saves them.
Elsewhere we in fact see that he withdraws his presence to test us (e.g Hezekiah) and rewards those who seek him by drawing near to them (Hebrews 11:1-3)

In the Gospel of John Jesus says that he will come and make his home with those who love and obey him - and we think this just applies to non Christians.

But then in Revelation he says to the churches "here I am, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone opens the door I will come in and eat [fellowship] with him".

I guess this is why Paul constantly prayed for *Christians* that we would have power so that Christ would dwell [set up his home and throne] in our hearts through faith.

The shock to the way I live and think is that actually the Lord is near especially to some - and that will only be me if I respond to him with the step of faith that he calls on me to make!

He is near to those who call on him!

And that's me if and when I call out in hope, when I cry out in faith, when I pour out to him in love.

That's where I want to be; or rather, that's where I want him to be - near to me!

Come Lord Jesus!

No comments: